Wednesday, November 08, 2006

A trip to Kananaskis aka Alberta's Mountain Playground

THIS STORY WAS ORIGINALLY POSTED BY MY GOOD FRIEND - ROOP RAI - HERE!




Beautiful innit?!? That's the view from the summit at the end of the Canadian Mount Everest Expedition Trail in Kananaskis Country. The lake in the picture is the Lower Lake, and towards the back of where I stood and took this picture is the Upper Lake. A beautiful sight indeed!

To start the story, I'd put up the picture of the place where it all started:



That's the entrance to the Canadian Mount Everest Expedition Trail. Me and a couple of friends took up the undaunting task of climbing up the trail without a trace of sweat on either one of our brows. Nah, I'm only playin .. it is a rather easy hike .. or so we were told before even going there. That's why we probably chose to go there ;p. Anyway, this is where it all started and up the stairs we went onto the trail that led us into a dense growth of trees and various other vegetation. A few steps inside, I spotted a centipede on my shoulder and screamed my lungs out. My friend, being the gutsy one that he is, flicked the pede off my shoulder while the other friend made it a point to let me know that the slimy, slithery, ugh insect could now be in my hair. I screamed some more. Neither one of them cared. They walked on. Tired of not being heard, I walked on too. Following are a few pictures from within the centipede infested zone:







Before I forget, here is a picture of one of those slimy creatures hanging from a web-string:




Scary, isn't it!?!?!? There were so many of them along the way that I was forced to keep my mouth tightly shut for the fear of either of 'em going into my mouth if I opened it. Lucky for my buddies haha. Wait, there was also the fear of grizzlies prowling the area. When I expressed my concern to my friend, first he laughed at me and then he yelled out into the woods, "Grizzly bro, I got you some meat for tonight" (pun intended!). :( It definitely was not assuring at all. For rest of the way up to the summit, the calls out to "Grizzly Bro" didn't stop, and, lucky for us (read me), Grizzly Bro didn't heed.

So yeah, finally, we made it to the top.



Hmm relaxing. Surely worth every fright that centipedes, millipedes, grizzlies, lizards, goats, monkeys, two losers et al could inflict on me. Then, we started experimenting with the camera. Determined to take the picture of the three of us and no one in sight to take it, we figured we could risk putting the camera on a rather unstable cliff and take a picture. Luckily (yeh, once again), the mission was possible, and we did get a picture:



A happy moment indeed! :)

We stuck around there for a little while, contemplating about our lives, our past, our present, our future haha ya rite. We probably talked about everything else but that hah while overlooking the beautiful Upper Lake:




After nearly half an hour of self-introspection, the trio made its way down. This time around though, the P-man (in white) decided to give us geology lessons. He pointed out rocks to us that showed striations from the glaciers that were there more than a few million years ago. We also spotted the oldest plant known to man - the fern -, which P-man was quite excited about and neither one of the rest of us cared much. :/ We just wanted to break a sweat, strengthen our heart, and tire our legs. We were not there for a science expedition ... wait, we just don't have the brains for one, I assume, but we listened. We listened patiently. I listened enough to remember the details that P shared with me. It turned out to be fun to learn which way a glacier might have went. Felt good to know that I was there where a mighty sheet of ice was once upon a time. hmmm quite empowering I tell ya. Here's one of many rocks that P showed us:



Yep, you probably see that rock as I might've seen it a couple of days ago ... as JUST A ROCK! ... but it is not! It's evidence that glaciers left behind. Interesting, isn't it? ;) Anyyyyyyway, we prodded along and here are a few pictures from our descent:






Finally, we took the following road home hehe.



The End. :)

Thanks for coming along for the trip.

No comments: